They say being a mother is not easy and trust me the drill starts right from your pregnancy. When I was pregnant, the conversation between me and my mother was more of a one-sided affair where I generally received a set of dos and don’t’s good for me and baby like – ‘beta yeh karna hai, aisa karna hai aur yeh hona chaiyeh, yeh aane wale baby ke liyeh acha hota hai.’ During my third trimester, her major concern was a check for a malishwali for the baby, as massage is immensely important. A similar concern was shared by my mother-in-law however she was clear that she would be doing the massage herself for the baby.
I am a first time Mom and this is the first grandchild in the immediate family, so for me, it was a first-hand experience and I am still learning; my journey continues. Initially, I did not understand this fuss about malish or massage for the newborn made by both the Dadi and Nani but after doing a lit bit of reading, speaking with elders and understanding properly I realized its importance.
Massaging is important, the ‘gyaan’ from elders –
- When a newborn steps into your life, the surroundings are absolutely new to him/her, the bond with his/her mother is the closest to the child. A new mom, on the other hand, is as overwhelmed with the new changes in her life, her priorities are changing. She also wants to build a bond and connect with her child. Breastfeeding and taking care of the child in a way of massaging, bath time and playing help to strengthen this bond.
- The digestive system of the baby is weak, so a mother has to take a lot of precautions to avoid gas troubles/stomach issues to the little one. The elders mentioned that good massage aids in preventing the development of gas and stomach agonies.
- Massaging, in general, increasing the blood circulation which helps in stronger muscles and bones of the child.
- They further mentioned that massaging helps to calm and soothe your baby and helps them to sleep better.
- Ultimatum was that the first 5 years are crucial for your child’s development so, as a mom you must ensure you take the right steps towards the right growth for your baby.
Words make a difference but actually, when I massaged my baby for the first time, I felt the reality. Over a period of time, you feel the importance and meaning behind those words.
Once, you understand the importance, there is a different set of questions which crop up in your mind, which oil, why this oil, what are my options etc.
Which oil should I use for my child?
Massage can be done by any regular oil – coconut, mustard or sesame oil. There is an umpteen number of baby massage oils available in the market as well. However, we must focus on the benefits of these massage oils. A lot of baby products are laden with chemicals and preservatives which are not safe for the baby. We must read the ingredients and select the products very carefully.
As a country and from generations our reliance on Ayurvedic products/methods especially for babies is very high. These are trusted and safe methods, so most of our elder’s guide or prefer to use an Ayurvedic based preparation even for massaging a baby. Ayurvedic oils are a blend of natural ingredients and oils based on ancient texts. These ingredients have their own merits and when blended together with a base oil boosts the benefits of the overall product and ultimately the child. Ayurvedic oil is a much safer option for the sensitive skin of the babies as it nourishes and doesn’t cause any skin reactions.
Which Ayurvedic Massage Oil brands I recommend?
So, after understanding the importance and benefits of massaging with an Ayurvedic Oil the immediate question which comes to mind is which Ayurvedic Oil should I use. In my journey as a mother, I have personally preferred three brands and I share my experience about these with you all.
Mother Sparsh Ayurvedic Baby Massage Oil –
- I trust Mother Sparsh products for my little one because all their ingredients are plant-based and they don’t use any kind of chemicals. I have developed a trust factor in this brand over a period of time. So, trying their Ayurvedic Massage Oil wasn’t a question at all.
- Mother Sparsh Ayurvedic Baby Massage comprises of natural oils from 18 natural ingredients namely – Almond, Coconut, Sesame, Avocado, Olive, Jojoba, Lavender, Orange, Wheat germ, Rosehip, Sunflower, Walnut, Shankhpushpi, Durva, Ashwagandha, Tagar, Tamal patra, and Lajjalu that soothes and moisturizes baby’s tender skin. This oil is prepared in a traditional manner.
- The natural ingredients have a lot of benefits which help in skin hydration, prevention of skin rashes and irritations, improving and maintaining skin texture. They also help in providing nourishment to the bones and muscles and is free from any kind of toxins which is good for the sensitive baby skin.
- The oil comes in a plastic amber colored bottle and you can remove the oil as desired. Overall, the packaging is convenient and spill-proof. The 100 ml bottles available last for a month easily depends on the usage of course.
- The herbal aroma infuses your senses as soon as you open the bottle. The fragrance is soothing for your baby as well. Taking small quantities just massage the oil on your baby’s skin and it is well absorbed. Long-time usage does show the difference on your baby growth.
Dabur Lal Tail –
- Made using traditional practices the key ingredients are Sesame oil, Ratanjyot, Shankhpushpi, Camphor and Urad.
- Ratanjyot helps in skin nourishment and protects it while Shankhpushpi helps in skin infections and general weakness. Sesame oil on the other hand helps in absorption, Camphor improves the blood circulation and Urad nourishes the muscles and prevents rickets.
- This a trusted brand of the elders. ‘Lal Tail’ as they prefer to call it has been in the market for many years. Someone from the family must have used this one invariably.
- The brand claim for two times faster growth in height and weight which some say they have experienced personally. Personally, my baby relaxes and has a good sleep post usage of this oil. I can’t say about the claim, but the product is decent and is a good option.
- The dark brown colored bottle comes in various sizes. The packaging is again convenient and spill-proof.
Mamaearth Soothing Massage Oil –
- The product has natural ingredients and avoids usage of chemicals in their products. The key ingredients of this oil are – Sesame Oil, Olive Oil, Almond Oil and Jojoba Oil.
- Sesame Oil is rich in zinc and provides skin nourishment. Olive Oil is rich in Vitamin E which again moisturizes the skin and improves skin elasticity. Almond Oil helps in skin protection and hydration while Jojoba Oil is rich in vitamins E and B-complex, Zinc, Copper, Selenium, Chromium, and Iodine which again benefits the skin.
- This is mild or light oil can be used pre- or post-bath time. Overall, it worked well, I did not find any unique characteristic of this product.
- The packaging is convenient and spill-proof.
I had my own set of struggles being a first time Mom and I wish struggled initially and it’s my sincere attempt to help all the would-be and new moms through this post.
If you have used any of the products do share your experience too, you see sharing is caring 🙂
Reference Links/Picture Credits –