A secret desire I wish to reveal,
One which every woman feels,
All the things may be perishable I know,
God, all I want is the eternal glow! – Mahek
Yes, we all have a secret longing to be beautiful always. It’s not limited to a woman. Men also feel the same, I am sure. We express, they don’t! As a child, you are carefree; step into the teens and you become conscious of everything around. The first pain of acne and the swollen eyelids which never were a worry starts to become the cause of concern more than the grades. Long beautiful tresses become a necessity and glowing flawless skin the fundamental need to look beautiful.
That’s exactly my situation was when I realised why a good glowing skin is so important than an acne prone swollen face. You suddenly start remembering all the tips and tricks your grandma shared with you and asked you to follow. She would often say, “Abhi dhyan dege toh baad mein tere kaam ayega,” which always went on deaf ears but today I follow them to the T. So I would share some secrets which were shared with me, which I have learnt observing my Grandparents, Aunts and Mom for their beautiful skin. They never had 10 products for their skin still, their skin shines to date – Wonder Why?
Hmm, So let the secrets reveal…
- As a child, we were always given nuts with our morning breakfast. Like it or not but nuts like Almonds, Walnuts etc have a lot of vitamins and minerals which help in our overall well being. Nuts naturally contain Vitamin E which helps to keep skin healthy too. You may ask why Vitamin E? So, Vitamin E is a fat-soluble antioxidant. It not only helps in prevention of Chronic diseases but also slows the process of ageing.
- In good old times, they used to apply milk or cream as a moisturising mask it provided the necessary hydration which the skin needed. Then came the hot favourite of those times Nivea creme which to date is being used. I assume correctly that all of us have used this one at least once in our lifetime. It was an integral part of the dressing table. I have a secret for you here, little Nivea creme and Evion (Vitamin E capsule oil) mix it well. Yes, it was an invention done in earlier times and in winters it kept dry skin at bay. Evion a Vitamin E capsule given as oral medicine was used in multiple ways.
- Almond Oil was used as a facial oil in the night for a glowing skin. A tiny miny amount went a long way. No serums and night cremes.
- Since we spoke about Evion, I reveal some more uses of it. This was more done by my Aunts. Instead of Almond Oil, they sometimes opened the capsule and applied that on the face or mixed it in the regular hair oil and applied it on hair. Evion supplements like capsules and cream fulfil the need for Vitamin E, both internally and externally.
- Being a North Indian, Ghee cant be left behind. Yes, no lip butter or cream or whatsoever it was desi ghee to your aid. Ghee also contains Vitamin E so you can apply it to lips, skin and even hair.
- Mustard oil is also used a lot as post-shower oil, for your hair or body massages for kids and adults. Applying mustard oil in your belly button also helps in lessening dryness of skin on a daily basis.
The products which were available always at home were used in multiple ways in times gone by. So for personal care also why should they be left behind. These were my old time nuskas being drilled down by my grandparents and parents which really work wonders, costs less and is skin friendly too.
Which one you liked? Share with me in the comments below. If you have a nuska share that too.
Pics Credits: Pixabay